Thursday, July 21, 2011

Berries, Apples, and.. Cobbler?! OH MY!


So, Monday was a rough day... The whole week previous was rough honestly. I was making Supper for the kids and decided we needed to leave the house for awhile. So, it was decided we needed to hunt Blackberries. So, we loaded in Daddy (Tom)'s Jeep and went into the field. We found a few, but the real awesome find, was the Granny Apple tree in the back corner. This is a tree that my brother and I would hunt when we were younger... We used to pick apples and feed them to Jackie, a bay muley mouthed mare who was like our dog.

So Tori, climbed on Mommy and Daddy while we pulled branches down and we got 4 apples that she really wanted to eat. Then we went to Uncle Bill & Marcus's Saw mill. The kids seen my brother there and watched the machinery work. Ian wants one... toys just aren't cutting it!

But we got home, and Tori was helping me work the blackberries and I was cutting the apples up for cobbler and we discussed cooking terms as I was applying my pie crust...

*as I'm reaching in the fridge* 'Momma needs to get her Cheater'. "Momma! You keep cheaters in there?!" *very serious look on her face*. While I am seriously considering saying yes, I say no. 'No baby, Cheaters are the bought Pie Crusts Momma keeps in here. I call them cheaters because I didn't make them from scratch'..... *Confused look* "Momma, what are you scratching then?".... 'Tori, from scratch means, Mommy actually took flour, salt, water, and butter to make a pie crust. Mommy didn't, so this isn't from scratch". ... 'You're silly Momma."

Anyway, folks try this cobbler! I've found that it works wonderfully with vanilla ice cream. It's warm, but sweet. Just what a family dessert should be.

Black Apple Cobbler -

1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
2 tbls Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup Chopped Granny Smith Apples
3 cup Blackberries

1 Refridgerated Pie Crust
2 Tbs Butter
2 tbs Sugar

Heat oven to 350 Degrees.

Combine the first set of ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Pour in 9 x 9 pan. Cover with Pie Crust and settle in. Butter Crust and Sugar it. Fork the crust to make air vents. Make sure to say Poke every time you fork it, it adds fun to the dish.

Cook in oven for 45 minutes. Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment