Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls

These were a real hit. I was unsure how they would turn out, but they are nummy! *grin*

I used my favorite, and somewhat broken now, Betty Crocker Cook Book. It's even a pink version for the breast cancer. I got it for our wedding back in 2005. Anyways, in it, there is a recipe for Cinnamon Rolls and various substitutions for it. One was just apple filling.

So guess what I played with on Sunday, despite being sick? Perfecting this recipe. So I adjusted it, you start off with your basic yeast dough. Melting the butter (1/3 c), milk (1 c), sugar (1/2), and salt (1/2 tsp) in a pan so it's heated and then mixing the Yeast packet with Flour (2 1/4 c) and 3 large eggs.

When it's well blended mix in 2 more cups of flour, turn it out and kneed in up to 5 cups. Put it in an oiled bowl and turn it. Then cover and rest.

I chopped up some Granny Smith Apples. I used three small apples chopped them up about quarter inch so they wouldn't take up the whole cinnamon roll. then I made a spread of Butter, Cinnamon, and Nutmeg that I covered the inside with, I also added a bit of Sugar because the Granny's have just a bit of bite to them.

Then you cut the dough in half when it's risen, cover and let rest 10 minutes. Roll out to about 12 x 8 inches and assemble. Spread the butter mix on, cover with apple bits and roll. Let them rest 30 minutes and then bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

I topped them with a Cinnamon Vanilla Glaze. And they were yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment